The Palace Museum
4 Jingshan Qianjie
Established in 1925, the Palace Museum was installed in the imperial palace of two consecutive dynasties – the Ming (1368-1644) and the Qing (1644-1911). The magnificent architecture, also known as the Forbidden City, and the vast holding of the imperial collections of paintings, calligraphy, ceramics, and decorative objects make it one of the most prestigious museums in China and the world at large. In 1961 the imperial palace was designated by the State Council as one of China’s foremost-protected cultural heritage sites, and in 1987 was made a UNESCO World Heritage site.
MUSEUM OF THE QIN SHIHUANG TERRACOTTA ARMY
The Terracotta Army was discovered in the spring of 1974 in the eastern suburbs of Xi’an, Shaanxi Province by a group of farmers who were digging a water well 1.5 miles (2.4 km) east of Mount Li. The region around the mountain was riddled with underground springs and watercourses. In 195 B.C., Liu Bang himself — the first emperor of the dynasty that followed the Qin — had ordered that ‘twenty households’ should move to the site of the mausoleum of the First Emperor of Qin (Qin Shi Huang, “shi huang” means the first emperor) to watch over the tomb. To this day, twenty villages sit in the immediate vicinity of the mausoleum, one of them the hamlet where the Yang family lived; the terracotta army may have been rediscovered by the direct descendants of the people left to guard it. For centuries, there were reports of pieces of terracotta figures and fragments of the Qin necropolis — roofing tiles, bricks, and chunks of masonry — having been occasionally dug up in the area.
NATIONAL PALACE MUSEUM, TAIPEI
No.221, Sec. 2 Zhishan Rd.,
Taipei City 11143,
The National Palace Museum was originally established as the Palace Museum in Beijing’s Forbidden City on 10 October 1925, shortly after the expulsion of Puyi, the last emperor of China, from the Forbidden City by warlord Feng Yü-hsiang. The articles in the museum consisted of the valuables of the former Imperial family.
Henan Province, Zhengzhou City,
Nongye Road, #8
Henan Museum, located in Zhengzhou, is a newly-built modern history and art museum. It opened to the public on May 1, 1998.Henan Museum occupies an area of more than 100,000 square meters, with a total floor space of 78,000 square meters.
Central Ferry Pier,
Phone:+852 2813 0912
The museum illustrates how China, Asia and the West have contributed through the ages to the development of boats, ships, maritime exploration and trade, and naval warfare. While concentrating on the South China coast and its adjacent seas, it also covers global trends and provides a comprehensive account of Hong Kong’s growth and development as a major world port and maritime centre. The museum offers semi-permanent and special exhibitions, interactive displays, educational events, a cafe and a museum shop.
OSAKA MUSEUM OF ORIENTAL CERAMICS
The Museum of Oriental Ceramics, Osaka 1−1−26,
The Museum of Oriental Ceramics, Osaka, was founded in November 1982, commemorating the donation of the world-renowned “Ataka Collection” by the twenty-one companies of the Sumitomo Group. In addition to the Collection which comprises nearly one thousand pieces of Chinese and Korean ceramics, the Museum accepted generous donations including the Korean ceramics of the Rhee Byung-Chang Collection, works by Hamada Shoji, Persian ceramics and Chinese snuff bottles. The Museum also acquired several Japanese ceramics. Among the whole museum collection, two works are registered as National Treasures and thirteen works are Important Cultural Properties of Japan. In terms of both quality and quantity, our collection of oriental ceramics ranks as one of the finest in the world.
THE PEABODY ESSEX MUSEUM
East India Square,
161 Essex Street,
The roots of the Peabody Essex Museum date to the 1799 founding of the East India Marine Society, an organization of Salem captains and supercargoes who had sailed beyond either the Cape of Good Hope or Cape Horn. The society’s charter included a provision for the establishment of a “cabinet of natural and artificial curiosities,” which is what we today would call a museum. Society members brought to Salem a diverse collection of objects from the northwest coast of America, Asia, Africa, Oceania, India and elsewhere. By 1825, the society moved into its own building, East India Marine Hall, which today contains the original display cases and some of the very first objects collected.
THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART
1000 Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street,
New York 10028-0198,
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the world’s largest and finest art museums. Its collections include more than two million works of art spanning five thousand years of world culture, from prehistory to the present and from every part of the globe.The Metropolitan Museum of Art was founded on April 13, 1870, “to be located in the City of New York, for the purpose of establishing and maintaining in said city a Museum and library of art, of encouraging and developing the study of the fine arts, and the application of arts to manufacture and practical life, of advancing the general knowledge of kindred subjects, and, to that end, of furnishing popular instruction.”